The City of Buffalo needed to effectively garner support for the two year zoning ordinance rewrite project. They desired to reach different age groups, leverage social media, increase turnout to public meetings, and capture citizen comments through out the planning process. Visit the Buffalo Green Code website
The launch of the project web site and online engagement strategy produced exceptional participation: in just the first month of workshops, citizens added over 50 useful comments to our cutting-edge online comment map to compliment workshop comments. The web site received 5,192 unique visits, 970 were a result from the comment map.
In Phase 2, we grew Buffalo’s reach by adding over 650 Facebook fans, 260 Twitter followers, and 1,520 e-newsletter contacts to keep citizens updated about the project, invite them to further interact with the City’s planners, and share content with other citizens.
In Phase 3, community workshop summaries were displayed using Google Earth embedded maps and graphical imagery. Citizens were able to search the workshop results through Google, social media, and affiliate websites where they directly responded to the workshop summaries. Over 3,692 page views were served during the summary feedback phase, 58% of the visitors were new to the project site.
- Installation of WordPress Content Management System
- Website design and custom development
- E-Newsletter design and distribution
- Social media setup, integration with the web site
- Event calendar setup and updates
- Media outreach and collaboration
- Comment map for place-based comments
- Mobile editions for phones and tablets
- Update the website with project materials
- Create graphics for the home page slider
- Posting presentations to Slideshare.net, embed into site
- Post maps and graphics in an interactive format
- 24 hour support
- Maintain Twitter and Facebook pages
- Monitor web traffic and generate reports
- Coordinate with team members to format materials
- Google Maps, Image Galleries, and other possibilities